Monday, January 30, 2012

30Day Paleo Update, 2 RKC Training workouts and Paleo friendly Meatloaf

It's hard to believe that 3 weeks are down and I'm in the last week of Robb Wolf's 30Day Total Transformation, or the Paleo Challenge as I like to call it.

I can honestly say that this challenge has been EASY!!!!!

I, in no way, shape or form thought I would say that cutting out beans and grains and eating meat would be easy. I'm loving food much more these days and I have a feeling that 30 days will come and go and the "challenge" won't end for me.

I've said before that I don't think I want to give up beans forever, and certainly not unrefined, whole grains as well, but I just need to see how I'm going to feel after I add them back.
In line w.the Paleo lifestyle is Primal, something I'm going to check into as well, after the 30 days are up. I do believe that Primal allows raw milk cheese?? I'm interested in that :) I like cheese :)
Who knows?
What I need to happen is I need to stay on top of my game, nutrition wise, so that I can continue on my road to RKC, which brings us to the last 2 workouts of my program from Mike Perry, RKCII, of Skill of Strength.

From Sat January 28th

3TGUS each side - 12kg - Feeling MUCH stronger w.my TGUs

Chin-ups-5X2 - Was able to complete 4 of these sets pretty easily, last one was hard

KB Deadlifts-4X5, 2 sets w.32kg, 2 sets, uneven bells, 20kg/24kg

KB Presses- 2,3,5 X 2 - 14kg/12kg - Used both the 14 and 12kg bells - getting stronger

Single Arm Swings - 5x6 each side - 16kg, 5x6 each side - 20kg
- Getting better w.my one arm 20kg swings. It's my hand and forearms that are the limiting factor here.

From Mon January 30th
4 TGUs per side, then switch - 12kg - Again, feeling much more confident in my TGU

GTG Chin ups - Sets of 1 - Total 10 throughout the day - Getting them done :), 2 left....

Heavy Single Arm DL 4X5 each arm - 24kg

Clean, Squat, Press Complex 2,3,4X4 each side - 3X12 and 1X14kg - Last time I used the squat into press for power. Mike instructed me not to do that, so I had to drop the weight down to 12kg. This complex is evil!! 4 rounds is pretty tiring :)

Alternate Swings 6 Sets of 16 (8 per side) - 3x16kg and 3x20kg - As I wrote above, my hand and forearms fail first

Without a doubt I am getting stronger, and that's a good thing.....How about some Paleo individual meatloaves? I got some nice grass fed beef from Hardwick Beef, a farm approximately 40 minutes down the road. I decided to make some meatloaves out of it.

Ingredients
1 lb Grass Fed ground beef
3 garlic cloves, run over microplane
2 medium carrots, grated
1 small onion, grated
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup almond meal
1/4 cup Paleo approved BBQ sauce
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme

Technique
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix the garlic cloves, grated carrot, and grated onion together.

2. Add in remaining ingredients and mix until only just combined; overworking the beef will result in a tough meatloaf.

3. Split 4 ways into mini loaf pans, or alternatively, form 1 loaf in a 9X5 loaf pan.

4. Bake until cooked through, 160 degrees, approximately 25 min for mini loaves and 55 min for large loaf; best to check w.a meat thermometer.

The addition of the BBQ sauce adds moisture and a smokey flavor. The individual size means you won't overeat :) I served the loaves with baked sweet potatoes and a raw kale and arame salad. The meal was delicious and I wish I had doubled the recipe...next time for sure, as the meatloaves will freeze great (if they stay around long enough to go in the freezer!!).
Enjoy.

No comments: