Thursday, January 26, 2012

30 Day Paleo Transformation Update, My Wednesday workout this week and Thai Chicken Stew,

I can't believe that it's already Day 19 of my 30 day Paleo transformation (Robb Wolf's 30 Day Total Transformation). I can honestly say that his has been an easier journey then I thought it was going to be.

To recap, Paleo is based on eating lean, grass fed and pastured meats, wild caught fish, eggs, fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, healthy fats. It does not include grains, beans/legumes, white potatoes, dairy, processed foods and sugar (though some Paleo/Primal followers include full fat milk , butter, cheese from grass fed animals). I went from about 80% plant based to 80% animal protein based.

I've been eating local, cage free eggs, grass fed beef and pasture raised meats from Stillman's Farm, just 40 minutes from my house, wild caught salmon, sardines, tons of veggies/fruits, including sweet potatoes.

So, yeah, do I yearn for "harder" carbs other then those I'm getting in fruit and veggies? Sure, sometimes I do. But in all honesty, I felt so bogged down when I was filling myself up w.grains and beans and breads and sweets etc. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my body. My workouts have been strong and that was one of my primary reasons for trying Paleo - to get more protein with the hopes of building my strength.
11 more days of the transformation to go.

Here's one of my workouts from this week...as I prepare for the RKC, I'm working with Mike Perry of Skill of Strength. He has written a 3 workout rotation to do for 4-6 weeks.
Wednesday January 25, 2012

Turkish Get Ups 5/5, Alternating sides every time - 3X10kg, 2x12kg - Already a huge improvement in the way the Get Up feels from just last week. My next workout (tomorrow) includes TGUs and I'm ready to try just the 12kg.

Heavy KB Deadlift 2x5...32kg- unfortunately, this is the heaviest bell I have...I have easily DL'd the 44kg bell but do not have access to it all the time....

KB Press 2X5...14kg - feeling stronger...the 16kg press is in my sites....

Goblet Squat 2X5...20kg - felt like I could have gone up to 24kg....

2 Hand Swing Ladder, 8 rounds, 5/5/5 w. 16kg, 20kg and 24kg - felt good, used good hip snap...

Getting stronger!

Now, on to the sustenance....I was inspired to make this Thai Chicken Stew by Adrienne Harvey, of GiryaGirl.com. She posted on FB about a chicken coconut soup she had made and so I felt compelled to make one as well. I happened to have just picked up some local (from VT) chicken breasts from Misty Knoll Farms.
I cut the pound of breasts up into smallish dice, 1-2inches, and I marinated them in kaffir lime leaves, ginger and garlic, as well as a few dashes of Red Boat Fish Sauce, for about an hour. Kaffir lime leaves are fragrant and delicious, and add that signature Thai flavor to dishes.

So, here's around 6 leaves, minced, with 5-6 grated garlic cloves, and a 2 -3 inch piece of ginger, also grated:
After marinating, I sauteed the chicken in coconut oil until brown, then added about 1 tsp of a chile paste. For a spicier stew, add more chile paste.

Next I added in my veggies, which were chopped broccoli and zucchini, and let them sweat for a bit before adding in coconut milk, about 2 cups as well as another few dashes Red Boat Fish Sauce. I let it simmer for about 15 minutes, and lastly added in chopped kale. After simmering for about 5 minutes, I finished it off with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and some chopped dill. I used dill because that is what I had. I would have preferred to use cilantro, but the dill worked fine as well.


The stew was warming, hearty and really delicious.


It got better over the next few days and made for great lunches for the first half of the week.

Coming up in the blog, a Paleo friendly meatloaf and review of Paleo Snax Almond Raisin Cookies.
Enjoy!

No comments: