Saturday, February 4, 2012

30Day Paelo update, RKC Training set back, and sneaking in some protein

Today is Day 28 of my 30Day Paleo Transformation. I think it's morphed into something bigger though. At some point along the way I actually stopped counting days. I have Days 1-30 marked off on a calendar and each night, I would cross off the day. I just looked at the calendar and I haven't crossed it off since Day 23. It's as if I realized I could follow this lifestyle, or should follow this lifestyle.....I'm wondering if this happens a lot to people during the challenge. It feels natural and I can't see myself not eating this way. I will keep the transformation going past 30 days :)

Having said that, I've had a small set back in my kettlebell training. I woke up this past Monday with pain in my right shoulder, under my collar bone, radiating towards my arm. I've taken this week essentially off from doing my program. I did a workout on Thursday morning that included swinging/pressing some bells and it didn't feel great. I will try again tomorrow and see how it goes. I'm trying to not get discouraged. Will report back on how it goes....

In the mean time, I'm trying to sneak some protein in throughout the day..here's how...
Trail mix!
I make a killer trail mix out of the following things: raw almonds, raw cacao, unsweetened coconut, Incan berries (also called golden berries), goji berries, mulberries....and occasionally dried blueberries.
Almonds are a great source of vitamin E, folate, fiber (3g per 1/4 cup) and protein (6g per 1/4 cup); they are also have healthy fats, w. 9g monounsat, 3.5g polyunsat and 1g sat fat per 1/4 cup.

Raw cacao is packed with antioxidants (flavenols and polyphenols) magnesium and fiber (9g per 1 oz). It has 4g protein per 1 oz. It is 35% fat, w.7g sat fat per 1 oz.

Gojis are a great vegetarian source of protein, having 4g per 1 oz. They have Vitamin A and C and trace minerals including zinc and iron; they have about 3g fiber per 1 oz and 0g fat.

Incan berries or Golden berries have carotene and Vitamin A. In 1 oz, they have 3g fiber, 2g protein and og fat.

Mulberries are a good source of calcium, potassium and magnesium and have 5g fiber, 3g protein, and 1g fat in 100g.

Dried coconut offers fiber and protein (in 1 oz there is 5g fiber and 2g protein). It is high in fat, namely saturated fat.

There is no recipe. I simply mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl and eat. I eyeball the amounts of each ingredient and add more if necessary.


I keep a bag in my gym bag, my car and in my purse, as a just in case. It's great to snack on when I get hungry. The raw cacao is slightly bitter and pairs great with the sweet berries. The almonds are meaty, hearty and fill me right up.
Try making some and tailor it to fit your likes.
Enjoy!

No comments: