Friday, January 20, 2012

Training update, 30Day Paleo Update and Paleo friendly Root Veggie Pancakes

I'm just about done with my first 2 weeks of Robb Wolf's 30Day Total Transformation; today marks Day 13!
In my last update, I reported that I was sleeping great, eating great and feeling strong. Today is no different. What is interesting to me is that (and guys, I apologize for going here), today I started my menstrual cycle. I usually have the most extreme sugar cravings for 3-4 days prior. I did not experience that at all! Amazing, really. Yesterday, I noticed I was extremely hungry, and did have sugar cravings, but nothing like I'm used to dealing with. I also usually get intense cramps on the first day or 2, and so far, I haven't had any!!!
The spike in hunger continued today, but w.out the sugar cravings...the spike in hunger might have something to do w.my workout schedule which looks something like this for the past 3 days:

Wednesday Jan 18, Day 11 - Teach Spin 6:30PM

Thursday Jan 19 Day 12 - Teach Kettlebell classes, 5:30am, 6:15am, 9:30am, then did my own kettlebell workout (detailed below)

Friday Jan 20 Day 13 - Teach Spin 6:15am, Teach Kettlebells 9:30am (where I did ~100 wings w.24kg bell)

So, increase in hunger noted....I am teaching kettlebells again tomorrow morning....When I teach the kettlebell class, I'm not necessarily doing the workout with the class, but I am teaching, moving, demonstrating, concentrating, etc. It takes energy. When I taught today, I managed to get 100 swings in w.the 24kg bell....

I've continued to eat some great meals including pulled pork w.collard greens and onions, grass fed beef tacos and home made salsa, and pan seared wild coho salmon. Food continues to taste amazing. I'm looking forward to the next 2 weeks of the challenge.

RKC Training update
Last week I had a 1:1 training with Mike Perry of Skill of Strength and this week I received the first workout plan from him. It includes 3 workouts per week that I will be doing for 4-6 weeks.
The goal is to build strength and focus on technique.
Since most of my work will be done at home, I had to get some heavier bells and so I am waiting for them to come in - I ordered a 16kg thinner handle bell, as well as (1) 24kg and (1) 32kg bell. While I'm waiting for the bells to come in, I'm doing the program the best I can.

Yesterday I did Day 1: it will be interesting to note my progress in a month's time....The weight I used is in bold.
Turkish Get Ups - 3 reps per side, then switch, spend 5 (s) in each position - 10kg

Chin Ups 5X2 - To date, I am able to do 1 unassisted chin up at a time. I did 3X2 chin ups, resting in between each chin up. My last 2 sets I was just barely coming to top of bar.

Heavy KB Deadlift 4X5 - 44kg

KB Press Ladder 2,3,5 X2 - 12kg

Single Arm Swings, 6 reps each side X10 - I did 8 rounds w.16kg and 2 rounds w.20kg

I'm looking forward to doing this program and hope that I can make some strides in my strength over the next 4 weeks.

Paleo Friendly Root Veggie Pancakes
Because root veggies are so abundant this time of year, I decided to make a root veggie pancake with some of the local produce I picked up at the Somerville Winter Market last week. This recipe couldn't be easier.

I grated a yam, a turnip, a beet and an onion on a box grater, on the largest hole.

To the grated veggies I added 2 beaten eggs, ~ 1/4 cup coconut flour, S+P and chopped parsley.
I formed 1/4 inch thick patties and fried them in coconut oil over medium heat.
They were very yummy....hearty, earthy from the beet and totally satisfying. The pancakes keep well and reheat great in a toaster oven, so it would be worth it to make a double batch and keep them in the fridge. This recipe made 8 pancakes, and they were gone the next day.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can use any root veggies you like. So, if you don't like beet, then don't use it. Some other suggestions would be to use rutabagas, parsnips or celery root.
Let me know if you try a different combo out!
Enjoy :)

No comments: