Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Is it Sauce or Is it Gravy?

Either way, sauce or gravy, it' OK with me, because I just call it yummy!!! This sauce I made with onions, garlic and carrots with both diced tomatoes and strained tomatoes. I seasoned it with fresh basil close to the end of the cooking time. For meat, I added PORK in various formats....pork sausage, pork chops and pork meatballs....the meat all came from Stillman's Farm, a farm approximately 40 minutes down the road from me. They are a local, sustainable farm, with animal friendly farming techniques, that pastures their animals, feeds them food they were meant to eat, never using antibiotics etc. I feel good supporting them and eat their meat with a clear conscience.

For the sauce, I started by cooking the onions, garlic and carrots, then added in the sausage, cut into 1-1.5 inch pieces.
After the sausage browned, I nestled in 2 nice bone in pork chops and started them cooking up.

To the mix, I added in Bionature brand strained tomatoes (organic, in glass), and a couple boxes of Pomi brand diced tomatoes. I've been staying away from canned tomatoes after reading about BPA dangers. It's worth seeking out the boxed brands or brands that are in glass.
I added in some dried herbs at this point as well: oregano, thyme, marjoram, basil - any herbs really would work. It's important to add the dried herbs at the beginning of the cooking time so that they can release their oils into the sauce.
I made some pork meatballs with some grated garlic and onion as well as S+P and an egg. I dropped them into the simmering sauce and let the whole thing cook for a couple hours.
At the last minute, I added in fresh, chopped basil.
The chops were falling off the bone, and both the sausage and the meatballs were so tender. The flavors melded together so nicely. Truly a delicious meal.
Whatever you call it, sauce or gravy, try making a big pot of it! Freeze some down for another day! It's worth it!!
Enjoy!

No comments: