Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Vegetarian, Dairy Free Corn Chowder

Yesterday, I made a vegetarian, dairy free chowder for one of my clients. I knew I had some, but not all of the components to make it at home, so when I got home, I made up a modified batch for myself.

First off, everything I used to make the chowder came from my CSA (Stillman's Farm) except the shallots.....
I cut up some red potatoes, white potatoes, garlic, shallot, and yellow squash.

I had 4 ears of corn left from last week, so I stripped off all the corn from them.

I used thyme and oregano from my own (tiny) deck garden (rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, Thai hot peppers, sweet bell peppers, cluster cherry tomatoes and yellow pear tomatoes)...not bad for my first time....next year I'm going in the ground...

I sauteed the garlic and shallots, then added the squash, potatoes and herbs .
I chose to simply use water as the liquid, and I added half of the corn, as well as the cobs, in to make a corn "stock" as the chowder simmered away.
It simmered for 30 minutes or so, then I pureed it with the immersion blender. After that, I added in the remaining corn and allowed the heat of the chowder to cook it.
The color was a bit flat, so to brighten it up, I served it with a swirl of pesto I had made (yes, with stillman's basil), and it was delicious.

Today, I'm going to roast a chicken from the meat portion of the CSA, after I pick up my share. Can't wait to see what I get!

No comments: