Sunday, August 10, 2008

Beans, Beans The Magical Fruit

I love beans. Enough said. So, I made some pot beans on Friday. I used heirloom beans from Rancho Gordo, an amazing farm in Napa, CA that specializes in heirloom beans. I used Yellow Indian Woman, almost pinto like, but smaller:

From the farm I had some beautiful tomatoes, an Italian green pepper and cayenne peppers, so I was able to incorporate them into the recipe. Along with onion, garlic, and some stock, the beans cooked in my pressure cooker.
Here are the veggies cut up:

Look at the beautiful tomatoes!
First, I suateed the garlic, onions, cayenne and Italian peppers:
Then I added the tomatoes:
Soaked/drained beans and stock went in last, and they pressure cooked for 15 minutes. Here they are:
Yum. A squeeze of lime, and we're good to go. I would have used fresh cilantro, but I was out...oh well.

I had some round steak in the freezer to use up, so I also stewed that off with the same base.
It was yummy - very tender and delicious. Along with the beans, some cut up avocado and some brown rice, it was excellent dinner, and it made excellent leftovers as well.

No comments: