Sunday, June 8, 2008

Squid Anyone?

When I was shopping for a client last week, the squid happened to look nice and fresh, so I picked up a pound. I decided to go for the "long cook" rather than the "short cook", because with squid it has to be either or; there is no in between or you'll end up with rubbery, tough squid.
I took some garlic, shallot and ginger and minced them, and got 'em cooking in pot.
I then added the squid, a nice shot of thai chile paste, a swig of soy sauce, some fish stock, chopped cilantro and chopped scallions and brought it all to a boil. I lowered the temp and simmered the mix for ~25 minutes.
Independently, I cooked up some soba noodles. Soba noodles are buckwheat noodles and are a good source of selenium and zinc. Plus, the buckwheat is digested slowly, giving you a sustained supply of good for you carbs.
I added the noodles into squid and viola, squid with buckwheat noodles in a sweet and spicy broth. It was very yummy.

No comments: