Monday, October 18, 2010

What the heck do I do with....Bison?

Bison, the other red meat.....but seriously....have you tried it? It is a great lean, red meat that is grass fed, low in calories, fat and cholesterol, and high in iron and Vit B-12: 100 grams of cooked bison has 7 g fat (2 g saturated), 143 cal, 55 mg cholesterol, 3.4 mcg iron and 2.9 mcg Vit B-12....and a whopping 20g protein!!! It's a good choice for people on special diets.
I have one client who I cook for that follows the UltraSimple diet by Dr Mark Hyman. Bison is recommended as a lean meat and so I used it to make a Bison Chili. This client in question has allergies to onions and so I needed to eliminate that from my chili. Instead, I used garlic as an aromatic. This client is not allergic to tomatoes, but does not care for them. Instead, I used tomatillos.
Basically, I minced a bunch of garlic cloves and chopped a couple carrots, browned them up and added in the ground bison to brown. For spices, I added in ground New Mexico chile powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and cayenne.

After the bison browned up, I added the tomatillos, some black beans, lentils and a bit of veggie stock.

I let the mix simmer for about 20-30 minutes and it was done. To finish it off, I added a bunch of chopped cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Real tasty, very hearty. The tomatillos and lime juice added a tang that went well with the bison, beans and lentils.
Enjoy!

No comments: